The Stephen Phillips Memorial Library is a resource for serious researchers of the U.S. maritime industry and local history. Among tens of thousands of original documents, the archives include:
- Ships logs, accounts and personal papers of Searsport and Belfast seafaring families from the 19th and early 20th centuries
- Business records of Searsport merchants and shipping agents, 1860s-1900, documenting nearly every aspect of the nineteenth century shipping economy
- Congregational Church records of Belfast (1796-1911) and Searsport (1815-1970)
- Genealogical research collections for Waldo County, including family history for approximately 1,000 surnames and indexed transcripts of census records, vital records and cemetery lists
- Microfilm copies of local newspapers dating from 1829 and an obituaries index for the Belfast Republican Journal up to 1890
Access to archived materials is by prior arrangement only. For details, call 207-548-2529 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.