Council for New England
An outgrowth of the Plymouth Company founded in 1606, the Plymouth Council of New England was a company, created and led by Sir Ferdinando Gorges. It was granted a royal charter in 1620 to found colonies in New England from the 40th parallel to the 48th. The Pilgrims of the Plymouth Colony were given a contract or patent for their land from the Council. The Council was dissolved in 1635.