Built in 1851 in South Portland, Snow Squall is the only American clipper for which there are any remains. Not a larger clipper, Snow Squall was 157 feet long, measured 742 registered tons and carried a crew of 18 to 20. She ended in 1864 when she ran aground near Cape Horn then sailed to the Falkland Islands where she was condemned and abandoned. In 1979 she was rediscovered in the Falklands, and in 1983 an archaeologial expedition returned her bow and other pieces to Maine. The bow section is now on view at the Maine Maritime Museum.