9-12 Learning Results
This section has been updated to include the new Maine Learning Results, "Parameters for Essential Instruction," which were adopted by the state legislature in 2007. They are presented at the level of Development Standards. The 1997 Performance Indicators have been condensed slightly to conserve space.
The Common Core State Standards were added in November 2012.
Career Preparation 1997
A-2: Skills and abilities required in career options; relate them to own skills and abilities.
A-3: Relationship between the changing nature of work and educational requirements.
Career and Education Development 2007
A4. Career and Life Roles
B1. Relationships among Learning, Work, the Community, and the Global Economy
B2. Skills for Individual/Personal Success in the 21st Century
C1. The Planning Process
C4. Societal Needs and Changes that Influence Workplace Success
Common Core State Standards-English Language Arts 2012
Reading Standards for Literacy in History/Social Studies
Key Ideas and Details
2. Determine the central ideas or information of a primary or secondary source;
- provide an accurate summary of how key events or ideas develop over the course of the text (grades 9-10)
- provide an accurate summary that makes clear the relationships among the key details and ideas (grades 11-12)
3. Analyze in detail a series of events described in a text; determine whether earlier events caused later ones or simply preceded them (grades 9-10)
3. Evaluate various explanations for actions or events and determine which explanation best accords with textual evidence, acknowledging where the text leaves matters uncertain (grades 11-12)
Craft and Structure
4. Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text,
- including vocabulary describing political, social, or economic aspects of history/social science (grades 9-10)
- including analyzing where the text leaves matters uncertain
9. Compare and contrast treatments of the same topic in several primary and secondary sources (grades 9 – 10)
9. Integrate information from diverse sources, both primary and secondary, into a coherent understanding of an idea or event, noting discrepancies among sources (grades 11-12)
Common Core State Standards-Mathematics 2012
Geometric Measurement and Dimension
- Explain volume formulas and use them to solve problems
- Visualize relationships between two-dimensional and three-dimensional objects
Modeling with Geometry
- Apply geometric concepts in modeling situations
Science and Technology 1997
J-1: Observations using appropriate tools and units of measure.
Science and Technology 2007
B2. Skills and Traits of Technological Design
C3. Science, Technology, and Society
C4. History and Nature of Science
D4. Force and Motion
Social Studies 1997
A-1: Major events and people that characterize significant eras in the U. S. and world history.
B-2: Major events in ancient and modern world history; connection to U. S. history.
B-3: How technologies contribute to cultural sharing and separations; examples of the spread of cultural traits.
Social Studies 2007
D1. Geographic Knowledge, Concepts, Themes, and Patterns
D2. Individual, Cultural, International, and Global Connections in Geography
E1. Historical Knowledge, Concepts, Themes, and Patterns
E2. Individual, Cultural, International, and Global Connections in History
Visual and Performing Arts 1997
A-5: Portfolio of work that communicates new ideas, feelings, and moods using different media, techniques, and processes.
B-1: Compare two or more visual and/or performing arts: genre, style, historical period and conditions, probable artist, and cultural source.
B-3: Characteristics and purposes of visual and/or performing art works across time and among cultural and social groups; explain how these characteristics and purposes fulfill social, religious, or ceremonial functions in a particular cultural and historical context.
B-4: Create works that reflect concepts, theories, approaches, and styles from own and other cultures.
B-5: Develop visual and/or performing art work in response to a historical, social or cultural condition using a variety of forms.
Visual and Performing Arts 2007
A1. Artist’s Purpose
A2. Elements of Art and Principles of Design
A3. Media, Tools, Techniques, and Processes
B1. Media Skills
B2. Composition Skills
B3. Making Meaning
C1. Application of the Creative Process
D1. Aesthetics and Criticism
E1. The Arts and History and World Culture
E2. The Arts and Other Disciplines
E4. Impact of the Arts on Lifestyle and Career
E5. Interpersonal Skills