This is a detail of the Penobscot River and Belfast Bay Maine chart, published by the U.S. Coast Survey in 1882. Details on the chart include where there are and aren't trees, as well as the first bridge at the head of the harbor. The granite beacon on Steel's Ledge at the mouth of the harbor is still in position, but now there is a bell buoy off the ledge that marks the harbor entrance.
The bridge at the head of harbor is the first one; a second one followed in 1923, and an elevated bridge was built in the 1960s. The 1923 bridge is now a footbridge.
These are sailing directions for bypassing the Muscle Ridge Channel and sailing up the main route of Penobscot Bay, the same route that large vessels take today. These were published by Edmund G. Blunt in the 1822 edition of the American Coast Pilot. When you read them, you will note that the names of many of the places have changed. Brigadier Island is now Sears Island. Long Island is now Isleboro. There were no up-to-date charts showing detail of the area, so sailing directions were particularly important.
Capt. Henry A. Starrett kept a track on his North Atlantic chart of where he was going, as he sailed the ship Levi G. Burgess back and forth to Europe. This track, which is kept up once a day, shows that the wind is not always in favor of getting the ship home most directly.
The Burgess was a Thomaston built and owned Down Easter built in 1877 and sold into the Pacific Coast trades in 1887 and then into the salmon business in 1910, where she worked until broken up in 1928.
This chart of Castine Harbor shows the detailed information provided on a nautical chart, including water depths, rocks and shoal locations, an abandoned lighthouse, buoys, and the intertidal zone, the area that dries out at low tide. This is a modern chart, now available digitally on line and on Global Positioning System Devices.
This is a detail from NOAA Chart 13309, Penobscot River.
Three-masted schooner Nettie Langdon, built in East Boston in 1875 and registered in Jacksonville, Florida in 1883 and the tug Sumner M. Small at Steamboat Wharf in Belfast. Tugboats made gettting in and out of ports much easier and even possible for larger sailing vessels.
Sailing with her father, Ruth Montgomery took this photo of their Portland registered bark Carrie Winslow unloading Maine lumber in Buenos Aires, Argentina. There are ports built into the side of the hull to allow lumber to be slid out. Often, ships came back with hides that were turned into leather for Maine's shoemaking industry.