Fort Point Hotel was originally built as the Wassaumkeag Hotel, and later also called Fort Point House and The Woodcliff. It was built in 1895 and burned in 1898. It was the largest resort hotel in the area, but the owners lost money. Its foundations are visible at the Fort Point State Park, also the location of the Fort Point lighthouse.
Tied up at Beals Wharf are the lobsterboat Ethel M. II and the sardine carrier Woiee. In 1955, there was still an active sardine canning industry; now the few surviving sardine carriers are used to carry bait. Woiee, built in 1918, was converted to a motor sailing ketch used as charter yacht.
"Design for School House in District No. ____ Searsport, Me., Plan of Principal Floor," showing desks, teacher's platform, and boys' and girls' outhouses. Designed by Harding, architect from Portland, Maine. At the time of the drawings, the architect did not know the district number, but the school has always been called the Union School. Today, the school building is divided into condominiums.
This photo of the Sunday School class was taken on the yard of the Jeremiah Merrithew house, next door to the First Congregational Church in Searsport. The brick building on the left was the Searsport Town Hall, built in 1845. This and the building behind it are now both part of the Penobscot Marine Museum.
Interior of the First Congregational Church in Searsport, Maine, after major interior design changes at the end of the 19th century, including stained-glass windows, curved oak pews, and a tinned ceiling. These changes reflect the prosperity of Searsport at the end of the age of sail, when many deep sea sailing captains called Searsport home.
First Congregational Church, Searsport, Maine, built in 1834. It is Greek Revival in style. The Congregational Society in Searsport gathered on October 4, 1815 with sixteen members including a minister. The Society erected the first of its two buildings, the Harbor Church, in 1819 at Searsport Harbor, about one mile east of the present village. As the center of the community life moved into the village, the Society abandoned its church and built on Townhouse Hill, the present site, in 1833. A bell cast at the Revere Foundry in Massachusetts was installed in the church's steeple.
These eagles were carved for the Buffalo, New York, Post Office. From 1896 to 1898, carvers and stone cutters at the Sands Quarry on Vinalhaven, operated by the Bodwell Granite Co., cut stone for this building. These eagles were famous enough to have their carvers recorded: Robert Whyte, Charles Athearn, Robert Clarke, and Elbridge Rolfe. According to Whyte it took 150 work days to carve an eagle.
Another photograph of these eagles and more photographs of the Vinalhaven Quarries are in Images of America, Vinalhaven Island, Vinalhaven Historical Society, 1997.
There must have been hundreds of waterpowered saw mills in Maine. It does not take much water to run one. Here Belfast photographer, undertaker, and chronicler of his town, Charles R. Coombs, caught this small mill on the Goose River in Belfast, just off Swan Lake Avenue. It was then run by Dan Robertson.