A need for shipping in World War I revived the Maine schooner building industry. No schooners were finished before the war's end but they sailed into the 1930s. This provided the last opportunity for photographers to record large wooden shipbuilding.
Here a completed double-sawn frame is lifted into place on the keel. The frame is assembled flat ahead of the row of frames, then tackles fixed to previously erected frames are used to raise up the new frame.
Using an adze to cut off the head of a driven treenail, making the planking smooth. Dubbing is the adze-users word for trimming small amounts of wood. This is a small vessel under repair; some of the planking is being replaced, mostly that above the waterline, in a process called retopping. This is the plank that is subject to drying from the sun, and often is most vulnerable to rot.
An etching of the Carter Shipyard in Belfast on the 1855 Map of the City of Belfast, Waldo County, Maine. A ship is ready for launch, while the one in the foreground has been framed up and is being planked. The ramp at the bow lets wood be carried in.
Camden had a major business in forging anchors of all sizes for boats and large ships. With waterpower to operate the hammers and forge, and easy access to water to transport incoming iron and the finished anchors, it was a niche metal working business, but a vital one for supplying anchors for the Maine shipbuilders. Without anchors, no sailing vessel put to sea. The business was best known as the Alden Anchor Works; by 1900, it had become the Camden Anchor -- Rockland Machine Company, according to the Maine Register.
Camden's Knox Woolen Mill made felts for Maine's growing paper industry and other industries. It was located to take advantage of the waterpower available in Camden. This photo shows some of the employees of the company. In the 1890s the company expanded greatly and built the building now visible in Camden.
Castine had ropewalks in the early 1800s, one burning in 1828 and its replacement burning in 1830. J.W. Dresser had a ropewalk business in the second half of the nineteenth century, here shown on a winter or early spring day. By the 1870s, though, it was made up of a head house on Pleasant Street and a long, low dilapidated building with three machines making 80 dozen lines per day. Toward the end of the company's operation, it specialized in fishing lines, including long trawl lines. The Dresser Rope Walk was purchased in 1900 and became known as the Line and Twine Factory.