Postcard image of Fort Point Lighthouse and the resort at Fort Point. Built in the 1870s, the resort was first called the Wassaumkeag Hotel, then Fort Point House, then The Woodcliff and Fort Point Hotel. It burned on June 7, 1898.
Bangor & Aroostook piers at Stockton Springs Harbor, Cape Jellison. Twelve schooners are at the docks. The docks were used for shipping lumber and potatoes. The docks were opened in 1906 when the railroad line was completed.
Loading a mast through the stern port of a mast ship. A tackle from a yard on the ship takes the weight of the mast and the men control it. Loading takes time as the band attaching the mast to the tackle has to be shifted periodically and the rollers inside and outside the ship adjusted.
From the book, New England Masts and the King's Broad Arrow, by Samuel F. Manning, 1979. Illustrations courtesy of the author and illustrator.
The reliable steamer Mount Desert operated on the Rockland to Mount Desert line from 1879 to 1904. This view may be from Stonington, as Mount Desert heads east towards Mount Desert Island and Frenchmans Bay.