This albumen print depicts a large vessel at anchor at the Quai de la Fraternite, port of Marseilles, France. Quai means "dock" or "embankment" in French.
Used with permission.
This photo shows the family of Captain W. R. Gilkey (left). The woman is his wife, Georgia P. Sawyer Gilkey, and one of the little girls is Georgia Maria, who later married another Searsport captain, Phineas Banning Blanchard and sailed with him for many years.
Mary Ann Park Pendleton was the daughter of James Ridley Park and Nancy Curtis Park. Her date of birth is unknown, but she was lost at sea with her husband, Captain Benjamin Coombs Pendleton, and three of her four sons on an 1888 voyage from Hong Kong to Callao, Peru. The bark Abbie Carver was Captain Pendleton's first command. The vessel disappeared and was never heard from again. One son, Clarence Isaac, had remained at home to go to school.
The shop sign "L. W. Edwards" can be seen on the left side of the street in this early photo of Main Street in Searsport, Maine. Look above the first floor windows of the three story brick building. The sign is dark colored and sits just above the white band. Lucy Edwards had a millinery shop in town as far back as the Civil War era. She was trained to use the first telegraph in Searsport and would announce the news of the War from in front of her shop.