These are sailing directions for bypassing the Muscle Ridge Channel and sailing up the main route of Penobscot Bay, the same route that large vessels take today. These were published by Edmund G. Blunt in the 1822 edition of the American Coast Pilot. When you read them, you will note that the names of many of the places have changed. Brigadier Island is now Sears Island. Long Island is now Isleboro. There were no up-to-date charts showing detail of the area, so sailing directions were particularly important.
The dragger E.G. Winters was built at the Harvey F. Gamage shipyard in South Bristol, Maine, in 1976. This photo shows the central position of a radar unit. A corner of a radio shows on the left. Today's wheelhouse would have a plotting depth finder, a GPS unit, an auto pilot, and aboard a fishing vessel, a fish finder.
"Red" Boutilier took this picture as he reported on fishing vessel construction in the 1970s.
Every good day at sea includes taking a sun sight at noon, to find the vessel's latitude. With a good chronometer, one can also find one's longitude. Here Capt. Adelbert Montgomery and the First Mate are "shooting the sun" or getting the sun's altitude using a sextant.
The photograph was taken by the captain's daughter, Ruth Montgomery aboard the Portland owned bark Carrie Winslow in 1898.
Children look into Andre the Seal's pen in Rockport Harbor. Andre was found by Rockport harbormaster Harry Goodridge in 1961, when Andre was a pup without a mother. Goodridge kept Andre in this floating pen during the summers and entertained visitors with Andre's tricks and antics. In the winter, Andre was let free, and later, sent to an aquarium. Andre died in 1986 after 25 years of pleasing the public.
In 1965, when this photograph was taken, the moorings in Rockport Harbor had wooden runabouts and sailboats, and was relatively empty compared to today's dense field of summer yacht moorings.
Tourists aboard the passenger schooner Mercantile assist in raising the anchor by working the windlass. Passenger labor is always welcome in working the windjammer schooners.
Mercantile was launched as a small coasting schooner in 1916 by the Billings family on Deer Isle. After she fished for mackerel for a few years in the 1940s, she was bought by Captain Frank Swift who had started the passenger schooner business in Maine in 1936, sailing out of Camden.
Three-masted schooner Nettie Langdon, built in East Boston in 1875 and registered in Jacksonville, Florida in 1883 and the tug Sumner M. Small at Steamboat Wharf in Belfast. Tugboats made gettting in and out of ports much easier and even possible for larger sailing vessels.
Sailing with her father, Ruth Montgomery took this photo of their Portland registered bark Carrie Winslow unloading Maine lumber in Buenos Aires, Argentina. There are ports built into the side of the hull to allow lumber to be slid out. Often, ships came back with hides that were turned into leather for Maine's shoemaking industry.