Loading a mast through the stern port of a mast ship. A tackle from a yard on the ship takes the weight of the mast and the men control it. Loading takes time as the band attaching the mast to the tackle has to be shifted periodically and the rollers inside and outside the ship adjusted.
From the book, New England Masts and the King's Broad Arrow, by Samuel F. Manning, 1979. Illustrations courtesy of the author and illustrator.
The reliable steamer Mount Desert operated on the Rockland to Mount Desert line from 1879 to 1904. This view may be from Stonington, as Mount Desert heads east towards Mount Desert Island and Frenchmans Bay.
Ships, Barks, and Barkentines had 3 or 4 masts. Brigs and Brigantines had two. Sometimes schooners might have square topsails set on the foremast. But unlike these vessels, such a schooner would have a gaff foresail.
The diagram is from the Nova Scotia Museum Info poster, Sailing Ship Rigs.
Looking forward from amidships, on the port side, aboard ship State of Maine, while raising anchor in the Java Sea. Note sails are partially set to begin sailing once the anchor is up. Though hard to see in this photograph, the seamen are working at the capstan on the forecastle.
This view of the three-masted schooner Susan N. Pickering shows the vessel on the marine railway, hauled out for maintenance. Belfast's Cottrell yard built the Pickering in 1882, and that is where she is hauled. She was registered to Deer Isle, measured 319 tons, 135' long, and owned by the Pickering family.
The schooner Mabel was the first vessel in the Camden windjammer fleet. Captain Frank Swift had the idea that he could keep schooner sailing alive by taking passengers. He chartered Mabel in 1936 from Captain William Sherwood of Deer Isle who went as captain, with his wife as cook. The first passengers were three ladies from Boston. Mabel had been built in 1881 in Milbridge, Maine, and was working hauling pulp wood and other general cargo around Penobscot Bay. Here, the schooner is hauled out in Deer Isle for maintenance.
65-foot sardine carrier Grayling coming into Lubec. The vessel was owned by the R.J. Peacock Canning Co. of Lubec. She was built in 1915 by Frank Rice in East Boothbay as a purse seiner, with a 65 HP Standard gasoline engine. By 1925 she was hauling herring. WoodenBoat Magazine for May/June 1997 has an article on her history, while the March/April and May/June 1998 issues recount her reconstruction and conversion to a yacht by Doug Hylan.
Photograph from the Atlantic Fisherman collection.