Welcome to Penobscot Bay History Online!
This is the Penobscot Marine Museum's education site where students, teachers, researchers and other users can learn about maritime history and culture. The site contains:
- Eleven education modules including educators tools and additional resources
- Searchable collection that includes historic photographs and images of manuscripts, paintings, maps, charts, and objects to support student research projects
- Glossary to help understand maritime terminology
- The Journal of Edwin Mitchell, a 16-year-old boy who sailed from Belfast to California and back in 1866.
- The Log of the Coolie Master, by John O. Shaw, Coolie Master.
- The Journal of Margaret Oakes, a Brewer, Maine teenager who accompanied her sea captain father, Captain George Oakes, on a voyage in 1880-81.
We would like to know who is using our website and how you like it! We also want to hear from you: questions, comments, descriptions of projects you are doing using the information on this site, and what additional information you would find helpful. Please register here by filling out our short form to send us your feedback.